Landscaping is often overlooked when considering ways to increase a property’s value. After all, why bother spending money on something that won’t directly add value? Landscaping can have a much more significant impact than one may think. From improved curb appeal to better energy efficiency, landscaping can be an excellent way to increase property values and make homes more attractive to potential buyers. Explore how landscaping improves the value of a property.
How Does Landscaping Increase Property Value?
Ask any real estate agent, it is no secret that curb appeal sells. When a home has been well-landscaped, it immediately becomes more attractive to prospective buyers and increases the potential selling price. But did you know that landscaping can also increase the actual value of your property?
According to a study by the Appraisal Institute, landscaping can increase a home’s value by as much as 20%. While mature trees, shrubs, and nice water features will always be the biggest bang for your buck, even small changes and landscaping improvements can make a big difference.
For example, adding colorful flowers to your flower beds can brighten up the exterior of your home and give it more visual appeal. Or, if you have an old deck or patio, power washing it and adding some new furniture can make it feel like new again.
The Best Trees and Plants for Landscaping Your Property
There are lots of landscape improvements you can make to your home to increase its value, adding trees being a common one. Several trees and plants can help increase your property value when landscaping. Some of the best choices include:
- Oak – A classic choice for landscaping, oak trees are known for their strength and durability. They provide excellent shade and can add a stately look to any property, making your yard look like it has a sophisticated design.
- Maple – Another excellent option for landscaping, maple trees are known for their beautiful fall foliage. They also provide good shade and can add value to your home.
- Pine – Pine trees are famous for their longer needles and can be conical or irregular in their shape. They’re also known for being low-maintenance, making them a great option if you want to save on landscape upkeep costs.
- Blue Spruce – Spruce trees are famous for landscaping due to their bluish green needles and dense conical shape. Great for establishing privacy and wind screens. They are also native to Colorado so they are an excellent choice that will tolerate poor soils.
- Flowering (fruitless) Pear – A favorite of many homeowners, flowering cherry trees add both beauty and value to a property. They’re perfect for adding a pop of color and interest, and they can even help increase curb appeal.
When selecting trees and plants for your landscape, it’s essential to consider each species’ size, shape, and growth rate, as well as your landscaping budget. You’ll also want to choose the right plants for your area, so they’ll be better equipped to handle the local climate conditions. If your goal is low maintenance, choosing the right plants in your landscape will be critical to make sure they don’t require too much pruning and care.
Landscape designers can help you create a beautiful outdoor space for your home. Whether you want to add privacy or increase curb appeal, you can find the right landscape design professional. With careful planning, you can create a stunning landscape that will boost your home’s value while providing you with years of enjoyment.
Which Landscaping Projects Improve a Home’s Value?
Many landscape projects can improve a home’s value. Here are a few of the most popular projects that can increase your home’s value:
- Planting trees or a mix of plants can increase your home’s value by up to 20%. Trees not only make your yard more attractive, but they also provide shade and can help reduce your energy costs.
- Creating an inviting front entry can make a huge difference. A small sitting area and colorful plants will make the approach to the front door feel more welcoming and inviting.
- Adding a deck or patio can also increase your home’s value. A deck or patio provides additional outdoor living space and can be a great place to entertain guests.
- Water features, such as ponds, waterfalls, water fountains, and even pools, can add to your home’s value. These features add visual interest and can make your yard more relaxing and enjoyable.
- Installing an irrigation system can save you time and money while increasing your home’s value. An irrigation system can be customized to keep plants healthy and green, making your yard look its best.
- Basic landscaping maintenance like mowing, refreshing mulch, trimming shrubs which will improve flowering, and fertilizing lawn areas. Keeping your yard looking its best will help maintain its value over time.
- Improvement projects to your backyard like adding a grilling area, fireplace, or wood-burning pizza oven will make your home a lot more valuable. These can be a hefty investment, but these fixtures are huge selling points once the house goes on the real estate market.
- Lower cost solutions, like adding outdoor landscape lighting, can really make your home more inviting to prospective buyers. The more they can see themselves living there, the higher average cost they’re willing to spend!
Landscaping can have a significant impact on the value of your property. It is an inexpensive way to increase curb appeal and make your home look more appealing, making it easier to sell or rent out. Additionally, landscaping adds a tangible function by improving drainage issues, preventing erosion, and reducing noise pollution. If done correctly, landscaping can dramatically increase the value of your property without costing you too much money upfront.
Interested in starting a landscaping project but would like some professional help? Contact us at Grounded Landscape Designs to get a consultation!